Learn to identify important varieties of natural gemstones, treated gemstones, synthetic gemstones, and imitations. Become an expert in identifying and differentiating natural gemstones from treated and synthetic gemstones. Extensive focus is given to gemstones available in the market thus ensuring one is ready to work in the market.
Gem Identification Programme- Level 1
Duration : 2 months
- Overview of Geology & Mining: Students will get an overview of the geological processes that create gemstones and the mining methods used to extract them.
- Understanding the factors that affect the quality of a gemstone: Students will get to learn the 4 Cs of gemstone quality – cut, clarity, color, and carat weight – and how they affect the value and desirability of a gemstone.
- Overview of the Physical and Optical Properties of Gems: Students will get to understand the physical and optical properties of gemstones, including their hardness, density, refractive index, and dispersion.
- Role of instruments for Gem Identification: Students will get to learn how to use the different instruments used in gem identification, including microscopes, refractometers, spectrometers and polariscope
- Understanding Gemstones based on Group, Species, and variety: Students will get to learn the different gemstone groups, species, and varieties, including their chemical and physical properties and their uses in jewellery.
- Identifying Natural Gemstones:Students will get to learn how to identify natural gemstones based on their physical and optical properties, as well as their geological and mineralogical characteristics.
- Identifying different inclusions in gemstones: Students will get to learn how to identify the different types of inclusions that can be found in gemstones, including fractures, cleavage, and mineral inclusions.
- Understanding Simulants: Students will get to learn about gemstone simulants – materials that mimic the appearance of natural gemstones – and how to differentiate them from the real thing.
- Understanding Treatments and Types of Treatments:
Students will get to learn about different treatments used to enhance the appearance of gemstones, including heating, irradiation, and dyeing.
- Identifying treated Gemstones: Students will get to learn to how to identify gemstones that have been treated, including the different types of treatments and their effects on gemstone appearance.
- Understanding Synthetics & Types of Synthetics: Students will get to learn about synthetic gemstones, including their production methods, properties, and uses.
- Identifying Synthetic Gemstones: Students will get to learn how to identify synthetic gemstones based on their physical and optical properties, as well as their production methods and characteristics.
- Understanding and Identifying Imitations & Composite Stones: Students will get to learn about gemstone imitations – materials that are designed to look like natural gemstones – and how to differentiate them from the real thing.
- Introduction to Pearls: Students will get to learn about pearls, including their formation, types, and uses in jewellery.
- Extensive Practical lab sessions: This course would provide you with a great amount of hands-on experience in gemstone identification, including using instruments, identifying gemstones, and examining inclusions.
- End of Programme: Theory & Practical Exam: At the end of the course, you would take a theory and practical exam to demonstrate your understanding of gemmology and gemstone identification.
- Course Duration: The Gem Identification Programme Level 1 will be completed in 40 sessions, Monday to Friday-2.5 Hours in 2 months.
- Course Outcome: Upon completion of the Gem Identification course, students will have a thorough understanding of the nature of gemstones, geology, mining, and the factors that affect the quality of a gemstone, as well as the physical and optical properties of gems. Students will also learn how to use instruments for gem identification, identify natural and treated gemstones, understand synthetics and imitations, and be introduced to pearls. The extensive practical lab sessions will enable students to apply the theoretical knowledge they have learned, and the end of Programme theory and practical exam will assess their understanding of the subject matter.
Diamond Grading Programme – Level 1
Gem Identification Programme – Level 2
Gem Basics Navaratna